February 1, 2011

Writing Fantasy by Author of the 'Last Mage' by Nick Krimp




Fantasy 


This genre is one of the hardest to write about. It is difficult because one has to create a world that is believable as well as entertaining. That said I must go a bit deeper and try to explain what a Fantasy writer has to go through to be believed. I myself believe that all other writers put us at the bottom of the list. Every time I say I write fantasy I get a smile from most people. I ask why are they smiling and they just shrug their shoulders, but why do copies of fantasy books sell so well when most folks laugh as the category. If I were to say, “I write mystery or romance or thrillers,” I would get a completely different reaction. Although it doesn’t deter me from writing in that genre, I find it sometimes frustrating. I love to pick up a good book and just lose myself in the story and for a short time enter a world that doesn’t exist. 


There are many different fantasy stories and most are well written and are able to place the reader into a world that was thought up by the author. I have been reading fantasy as long as I can remember. As a teenager I read all of Edgar Rice Burroughs books, from “At the Earth’s Core,” to, the “John Cater of Mars” series. I did not get into the fantasy of Elves and Dwarfs until much later when my son bought me a book called, “The Sword of Shannara.” It was then that I truly fell in love with fantasy. Terry Brooks inspired me to begin writing. I have his complete collection of the Shannara series and hope he comes up with more in the future. I do have my first book in the “Last Mage” series; subtitled “The Dragon’s Mouth” on sale at Mobipocket and a few pages on my blog at www.readerswriterscorner.net. I am working on the third book in the series as well as a Sci-fi story of marooned space travelers. I hope to finish both in the coming year.


Please visit my blog and let me know how you enjoyed the first few pages of the last mage. You can also drop me a note on face book there you can find me under nkrimp@hotmail.com. 


I always say that those who do not read a book are missing out on half of what the world has to offer.


Nick Krimp.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!