February 15, 2011

Author Cynthia MacGregor Introduces Her Library of Fiction and Non-Fiction

Sometimes it seems I spend more time writing promo than I do writing books. <sigh> It's a necessary part of the whole deal, but I miss the days (my age is showing) when publishers did all the advertising, and we writers were free to just WRITE BOOKS.


Yes, my age is showing...and I don't try to hide it. I'm 67. A YOUNG 67, but still...67 is 67, even if people who meet me do assume I'm on the young side of my 50s.


I have 54 conventional (printed) books to my credit (some of them still in print, others long since out of print), and a plethora of e-books already released or scheduled for release this year.


I've already survived the demise of one e-publisher, who contracted for a slew of my books, released some of them, faltered, and went under...without paying me any royalties. <long sigh>


This e-publishing world sometimes feels like taking a step into the darkness without knowing if I have solid ground under where my foot is about to fall...or if I'm about to step off the edge of the precipice.


Still, I believe e-publishing IS the future, and I'm committed to it. (Although I haven't totally forsaken printed books either.)


My first book to be published came out in 1993. It feels like it just happened. It's hard to credit that that was damn near 20 years ago. I LOVE writing. (I also edit, and enjoy that too, but not as much.)


But I love writing BOOKS far more than I love writing promo. It's a relief when, faced with the need to write promo, I can just sit down and vent, like this, instead of having to try to find a new way to tell the world how wonderful my latest book is.


What IS my latest book, anyhow? (Ah-HAH--here comes the advertisement.)


Actually, I have a bunch of them. (I'm both prolific and diversified.)


Though I mostly write nonfiction, I have a novel out with the Living & Learning imprint of Secret Cravings Publishing. 


What Child Is This? is a mainstream novel (as opposed to a specific genre). Here’s a blurb about it. See if it sounds like something you’d like to read:


All Marie Levy Erlig wants is to have a nice normal baby.


All Adam Josephson and Rev. Argyle each want is for their respective churches to grow.


Van Jordan, Channel 11 newsman, wants a Big Story.


When two kids see an apparition they believe is the Virgin Mary, and shortly after that Marie gives Share the Harvest an eggplant that seems to bear the likeness of Mary on it, it causes a huge uproar in her small town.  Adam, Reverend Argyle, Van, and others see in her a way to pursue their own agendas. They are joined by many who truly believe—but Marie wants to be left alone to give birth to what she keeps telling them is just a normal baby.  


Only Pastor Hemmings has no selfish agenda. He helps Marie to make a getaway, complete with a new identity.  But can she really escape the public eye permanently?



Check it out at: http://www.secretcravingspublishing.com/CynthiaMacGregor.html





If nonfiction is more your style, and if you happen to be a “solo parent” (divorced, widowed, never-married, mom or dad), you may want to pick up a copy of Solo Parenting. 


Who am I to write such a book? Well, previous (print) books of mine include After Your Divorce, The Divorce Helpbook for Kids, The Divorce Helpbook for Teens, and  Jigsaw Puzzle Family. I’m the siteowner of www.TheSoloParent.com. I’m the host of Solo Parenting, seen Saturday mornings at 8:00 in South Florida over WHDT. And yes, I raised my own daughter solo—I was divorced when she was two. 



Interested to learn more: http://www.secretcravingspublishing.com/CynthiaMacGregor.html


Or maybe you’re already remarried and finding yourself cast in the role of stepparent. (Or perhaps it’s your new spouse who’s the stepparent, suddenly helping to raise your kids.) If that’s the case, the book you need is “Step” This Way.  





http://www.secretcravingspublishing.com/CynthiaMacGregor.html


Finally, on a much lighter note, if you’ve got a funnybone, tickle it with Dust Bunnies Ate My Socks. It’s subtitled A Bachelor’s Guide to Housekeeping, but you don’t have to be a bachelor to laugh your way through Dust Bunnies Ate My Socks. Co-authored with George Moyer, a genuine bachelor (divorced once, widowed once, and on his own for quite a few years now) with a crazy sense of humor, the book evolved out of a series of emails from George, a former boyfriend whom I’ve remained good friends with. George is totally off the wall, and so is this book. Buy it for your bachelor friends. Buy it for yourself. Buy it and laugh. (Different publisher from the above three.) 


http://www.secretcravingspublishing.com/CynthiaMacGregor.html


Finally, on a much lighter note, if you’ve got a funnybone, tickle it with Dust Bunnies Ate My Socks. It’s subtitled A Bachelor’s Guide to Housekeeping, but you don’t have to be a bachelor to laugh your way through Dust Bunnies Ate My Socks. Co-authored with George Moyer, a genuine bachelor (divorced once, widowed once, and on his own for quite a few years now) with a crazy sense of humor, the book evolved out of a series of emails from George, a former boyfriend whom I’ve remained good friends with. George is totally off the wall, and so is this book. Buy it for your bachelor friends. Buy it for yourself. Buy it and laugh. (Different publisher from the above three.) 




On or after Friday (the release day is 2/18), go to:


http://www.uncialpress.com/home.php


Thank you for reading this. Thank you for buying one or more of my books, telling your friends about my books, and just for reading in general. We writers count on readers like you.


One last thing: If you want to learn more about me (or see a picture of me so you can put a face with these words) go to: www.CynthiaMacGregor.com.


And if you’ve got feedback for me, you’ll find me at Cynthia@cynthiamacgregor.com.


Thanks, Clare, for letting me guest in your blog today.


Hugs to y’all -
Cynthia MacGregor 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!