February 4, 2011

Cold Weather Inspires Me

Some people think of cold weather and instantly associate it with lot's of snow, horrible roads and maybe the flu, colds and if their lucky hot chocolate.

I see cold weather as inspiration for my writing.  When I think of cold weather, I think of glaciers, pristine snow and ice and mysterious weather where only the heartiest can survive.  To me the winter is a time to write with my inspiration just outside my window.  With a glance I am there with my characters battling the bitter cold.

For instance winter weather plays heavily in my military science fiction series Cold Warriors where the main character Caitlin Driskoll has been scientifically adapted to live and survive and fight in cold weather.  In fact she needs it to survive.

Then there are the characters in the 'Fugue' coming soon from Secret Cravings Publishing.  The characters are  Navy Seals training in arctic conditions who are unexpectedly caught by an unknown enemy who not only out numbers them but also has them outgun.  In the cold, they must fight for survival.

So the next time when you see snow on the ground, see it as a time of adventure.  I know I do.

2 comments:

  1. If my dog would settle down, it would be a great time to write Clare. :) I guess I've had too much of a good thing over the years. I prefer warm balmy temps. That's refected in most of my stories. But you've given me food for thought.
    Bobbye

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess living in the Midwest causes a girl to get use to things. If I don't love snow by now I'd be crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!