May 26, 2013

Young Males and Sagging Pants--Its History, Not As Cool As You Think



I'm not sure but I think it's still considered stylish by teens and young males in their 20's to wear their pants hanging down underneath their butts.

I overheard my mother talking to my aunt.  She warned in a stern voice, "You better tell you're son to stop wearing his pants around his legs.  That's was they do in jails."

Stunned, I turned to my sister (in-law who has been in the family so I long, I consider her just my sister as I have no genetic ones) and asked, "is this true?"

"Yep.  That's why I tell mine to pull up his pants."

Fascinated, I did a little investigation on my own.  I thought this fashion mistake originated in the Rap and Hip Hop community but they were the ones responsible for making it popular.  But its origins date back to American prisons.

In prison, American inmates are not allowed to wear belts.  Why?  Because belts (along with shoestrings) are a popular way to commit suicide by hanging oneself, to hang others, or to use as a weapon in fights.

But here's where it gets unnerving.  For an inmate, the pants below a man's bottom, is a sign that he is available for sex.  As in easy access.

It has also been known that in the prison system, wearing ones pants around the hips so that they sag down and bunch up around the ankles was a prison thing that signified that you were another prisoner's property, i.e., bitch.

Punks were forced to wear their pants this way so it would be easier for their masters to pull their pants down and take advantage of them.

If you think about it, some of the hardcore Rap, especially gangsta Rap receives credulity or street cred through the rappers run in with the police via past or present.  Often it would lead to jail or prison time...

But here's the thing, whether a rapper concocted his/her background of being hard ass or whether it was real, why would he want to walk around to signify that he's another guy's bitch?  Or a bitch available to all the guys?

Just wondering and putting it out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!